Earaches have multiple origins and can affect both children and adults; they remain painful and embarrassing. Thus, they can come from an infection, the excessive presence of bacteria or the obstruction of the ear canal by an excess of earwax. Natural home-made remedies can overcome earache and relieve your pain.
To understand why we feel the pain in the ear, it is important to know the anatomy of the ear.
Morphology of the ear
The ear allows to enjoy, on the one hand, hearing to communicate and on the other hand the balance on which the activity of everyone depends.
- The outer ear, contains the flag and the external auditory canal going to the tympanum.
- The middle ear, located behind the eardrum, includes the three ossicles as well as the Eustachian tube
- The inner ear, includes the cochlea (sensory organ of hearing) and the vestibule (sensory organ of balance).
Causes of ear pain
The ear pain can be caused by an infection in the ear canal, it can be either:
- An otitis externa that is manifested by an inflammation of the external auditory canal that occurs after bathing or improper cleaning of the ear;
- Otitis media that presents with middle ear infection and may be either viral or bacterial and may obstruct the Eustachian tube. Thus the liquid accumulated in the ear, which is not removed, causes a slight pressure in the affected area.
If you feel that your earache is worrying and too painful, it is essential that you consult your doctor. However, if the harm is mild, you can resort to natural remedies that could bring you quick relief.
A hot compress
Using a hot compress helps restore blood circulation and treat pain in the ear. Also, simply soak a towel or compress in warm water and apply it directly to the ear for 5 minutes.
Garlic is known for its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties to relieve pain. By consuming garlic , especially raw, it helps strengthen the immune system and fight infections.
In addition, topical application of garlic helps relieve the pain caused by earache. A study has shown that naturopathic ear drops containing garlic have been shown to be effective in managing ear pain.
Thus, you can press or crush a raw garlic clove and extract the juice, then apply 1 to 2 drops in the affected ear. Repeat the procedure up to twice a day if the pain persists.
Olive oil has a number of health benefits, reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease, among other things. It is also used to eliminate earwax build-up that can cause hearing discomfort or a build-up of bacteria which can lead to an ear infection. Thus, according to a study , a lubrication of the ear with olive oil just before the removal of cerumen thus allows total eradication of this material.
To do this, you can warm a little olive oil and apply 3 drops in the affected ear keeping the head tilted to the side for 3 minutes. Afterwards, remove the pieces of wax that come off.
Onion is considered a natural antibiotic in the same way as garlic. It is rich in sulfur and flavonoids. It is an effective remedy against respiratory infections and can also be used externally as a disinfectant.
To do this, you cut a diced fresh onion and wrap them in a towel. Apply them on your ear for 5 minutes and repeat the operation two a day if necessary.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, according to a study by the International Research Journal of Medical Sciences . Similarly, it clears the ear canal and allows an acceleration of the healing of the ill ear.
For this, you can grate a piece of ginger and squeeze it to extract the juice. Apply 3 drops in the affected ear and cover with a piece of cotton.
It is important to note that these natural remedies can only be used temporarily and for only 2 or 3 days until you see an appointment with your doctor who will prescribe the appropriate treatment, especially when is an infection.
Tips to avoid infection in the external ear canal
- If during a swim you put your head underwater, dry your ears well because the water can swell the wax.
- Put ear plugs while swimming or when there is dust.
- To clean your ears, avoid using the cotton swab. Just use a piece of cotton or a tissue that you can moisten and then wipe the outer surface of the ear cleaning all nooks. All doctors recommend to limit the cleaning of the flag and the conch.