According to Inserm, 15 to 20% of French people are affected by insomnia. Filled with natural fibers or plastic beads, weighted blankets help combat many ailments including sleep disorders. Relieving anxiety, this linen has been a great success for the feeling of well-being it provides. A comforting object for people with this disease that can be used in parallel with a treatment. This therapeutic innovation that our Huffington Post colleagues have also praised has been dubbed Gravity Blanket.
People who suffer from anxiety may have trouble getting to sleep. According to this study , weighted covers would be effective for them. Designed to be heavier than standard covers, they are filled with natural materials or plastic beads. The goal: To exert comforting pressure that would be similar to that of touching or hugging . A sensation that can relieve people struggling to sleep.
Deep touch pressure
This object is inspired by the benefits of deep touch pressure therapy that stimulates the production of serotonin, dubbed “the hormone of happiness”. It helps to relieve anxiety and helps soothe sleep and relaxation. The weighted coverage also stimulates the production of oxytocin, a hormone secreted during cuddling and breastfeeding.
The weighted cover was designed by the American John Fiorentino who started this project under the name Gravity Blanket. The inventor managed to raise funds of more than 1,500,000 euros in a few months thanks to a crowdfunding platform. Three models were designed according to the types of corpulence. And for good reason, for this cover to be effective it would have to make 10% of the weight of the body of the individual. Thanks to the small polyester balls present in the lining, this object promotes the production of melatonin, the sleep hormone . Anxiety is a disorder that can be a real handicap in everyday life but there are ways to relieve it.
– The sport: The practice of exercises and physical activity is recommended for people suffering from anxiety. During exercise, the body secretes endorphins that relieve tension and stress.
– Breathing: Breathing in a deep and conscious way helps to relieve anxiety. A few breaths before a particularly stressful moment help us to apprehend it more serenely.
– Meditation: This practice is a discipline that requires a little time, but thanks to it the emotions are better controlled and the stress diminishes.
– Eating bananas: Thanks to their richness in potassium and tryptophan, these fruits are recommended for people who feel invaded by stress. As this study shows, banana consumption improves mental health.
– Relativiser: It’s easier said than done, but there is a lot to be gained by adopting this philosophy. Anxiety is often an overestimate of a problem or an obstacle. To say that our reaction is disproportionate to the problem is a daily work on oneself. You will see, some positive affirmations and a healthy internal dialogue will allow you to make progress.